This past week a few of my peers presented their inquiry into data security and how that plays into our role as educators. Learners have massive amounts of interaction with the digital world, and educators are using online resources and activities more frequently year-by-year. As educators we need to think about what we are asking learners to do in relation to what data we are asking them to share online. I am eager to embrace technology in the classroom, but am concerned about putting learners’ data at risk as a result. When working with learners I am going to take extra care to consider what data I am asking learners to put online and how I can mitigate the safety of doing so.

The presenters showed the trailer for “The Great Hack”, which I watched this last weekend. It was a really interesting documentary that dove into the business of data exploitation, focusing on the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal. I highly recommend it to anyone remotely curious about what happens with all the data we create daily. I have attached a link to the trailer below.