This week we had the pleasure of partaking in a guest lecture by Jesse Miller.  He was a very charismatic speaker, and brought up some really interesting points about learners and technology.

He began by broaching the concept that our normal is not the normal of learners; they have  different experiences and interact with the digital world in different ways and for different uses. For this reason educators need to think twice about how they regulate the use of technology for learners.

Jesse Miller also covered the controversial topic of video game-based learning. He spoke of games as an alternative learning method, and of how large the gaming  has grown in the last few. Jesse suggested a great way to work with uninterested learners:  starting with something that learner is interested in and then approaching content through that interest(i.e. gaming) can help to reform their perception of learning.

Overall Jesse offered a very pro-tech perspective. He really seemed to embrace the changes that technology brings, and believed that we alter our habits of time to use technology ethically. Many educators, and adults for that matter, seem to have a general aversion to new types of technology, maybe people are just just afraid of new things? Embodying this form of techno-phobia could affect the relationship between  educator and student, where the two people may have differing views due to the different uses of technology in their daily lives.

I will try to maintain a generally positive and open view of technology in education, and when I have concerns about it’s use I will talk with my learners to understand their perspective before making a decision to regulate it’s use.